Tuesday, February 2, 2010

My dear friend Paul... 1945-2010



Dear Friends,
 
 
On February 2, 2010, a very dear friend of mine, Paul Tennant and was found dead in his flat outside of London.  I met Paul in December, 2009 in Los Angeles at a BAFTA Christmas Party, and we became very close friends.  In early January, 2010, he returned to England as, unfortunately, he was finalizing a divorce.  He moved out of his home and into a flat, but was unable to handle the loneliness of this move and new life.  Despite having written a wonderful book called All You Need is Luck about his experiences from 1967-1968, as the first band signed by Apple Records, and called Focal Point, and its imminent release in America, to one day hopefully be made into a movie, the pain of the changes in his personal life proved too much. 
 
Paul had planned to come back to LA in mid February, 2010.  He was originally from Liverpool and had the most darling accent.  I shall miss him terribly.  I know that this personal tragedy for me will make me appreciate the fragility of our lives and try harder each day to be kinder to those I meet and love.
 
Laurie Butler          February 3, 2010

As a young lad in Liverpool, his band Focal Point was discovered by Paul Mc Cartney...

I was privileged enough to spend some wonderful moments recently with Paul, my wonderful friend Laurie and my family over New Year's...little did I know it would be his last. 

Dear Paul, you will be missed. The generations who did not know you and your amazing stories will miss out on so much. We will be sure to pass on your words and music to those who will appreciate what you brought to this world. Rest In Peace, my friend. xoxo
























My daughter and Paul at our house on New Year's Day 2010. Tatum was so intrigued with all of the stories Paul was telling her of the Beatles era and his involvement in the music industry.

5 comments:

  1. So sad that your friend is gone.
    May he rest in peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry to hear this. It's so great that your daughter gets to be around such interesting and cool people :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry. How sad - he sounds like a wonderful person.

    ReplyDelete
  4. He was a great man, an inspiration, a role model. He will never be forgotten and forever missed.
    Rest forever in peace uncle Paul.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the comments about my Father.

    His family appreciate your kind words and thoughts.

    Alan.

    ReplyDelete